Tuesday, June 11, 2013

I have an interview...but not here

So, news!

I have a job interview. It's for a data analyst position at GradU. There's just one catch...I don't live in Grad City anymore. In fact, I now live about a 5.5 hour drive away. Let me back up:

As of my last posting, Boyfriend found a new job in Ohio. So, we moved to Ohio at the end of May. The apartment is a little smaller and darker than our last one but we're making it work. It's giving us a reason to downsize our stuff some more. Boyfriend got to cut his commute to about a third of what it was at our last place. Trying to look on the bright side of life, as Monty Python sings.

I have not yet found a job in our New City. Currently, I'm sending out feelers and looking for informational interviews. The lack of a network in our Last City was a big part of my unemployment, I think.

Between Boyfriend's old job and new job, I applied for a position at GradU. It was exactly what I was looking for in a position. At the time we had no destination for where to go next, so it made sense to apply. Well, they took their sweet time getting to the interviews and we had already reserved a truck and put in a deposit for a new apartment by the time they got back to me.

I decided to take the interview, scheduled two weeks out. It should be good experience interviewing and I might be able to get some pointers to make my résumé more competitive. Maybe someone even has contacts in New City and could help me out. Seems like a good idea. Not sure what I would do if they offered me the job. We're just going to jump off that bridge when we come to it.

To sum up: my post-academic adventure now encompasses three different states and may soon come full circle. I'll let y'all know how the interview goes next week and keep you updated on my unemployment follies.

No comments: